Tuesday, April 23, 2013

4/22 - 4/23 Class Update

Yesterday, we went to the computer lab to begin "Triton 16% Time", or our class's version of Google 20% Time. This gives us approximately one day per cycle to work on what we're interested in. We're working on different badges using the Smithsonian Quests Program. It's not being graded and the only assessment that's being done is by a group of experts selected by the Smithsonian Institution. We'll still be presenting the work we had to do for the badge later in the year. I chose to do H2O Hero. None of the activities required for this badge seemed to be too difficult or labor-intensive. I may or may not have finished earning the badge in one class period, but the page changed and had different activities after I submitted my work, so I'm not sure what's going on with that.

Today, we had a sub. We went to a couple of different stations where we learned more about soddies. The different stations included (sort of) living in a soddy/arranging where things like eating, sleeping, and sitting would be done, taking a (fake) picture of a person who would've lived in a soddy, and smelling sod. We had a competition going for who could stand the smell for the longest. Brittany had 32 seconds, but Jess beat her with 2 minutes 18 seconds. Some questions I have to answer in this blog post:
What's your overall impression of living in a soddy? It's really dark and there's not much you can do in your house because of this. If you lived in one, you better hope it doesn't rain so that you could go outside to do everything that requires being able to see what you're doing.
How long would you last living in a soddy? It depends on how long it would take for me to get used to the smell and how limited I would be by not being able to see anything. Probably a couple hours, at most.
Based on what you've learned, would you leave for the city or stay in the great plains? I would definitely leave for the city. Any plans of farming would be crushed by the difficulty of farming the land, so combining that with the condition of homes, I'd be in the city as fast as I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment