Friday, September 7, 2012

3 Artifacts That Describe Me

Clarinet
My interest in music- more specifically, my clarinet- is major part of my life. I started playing in the school band on flute in 4th grade; that didn't go well, so I switched to clarinet and haven't looked back since, despite learning new instruments between 4th grade and now. I can often be seen bringing my clarinet with me throughout the school day. In the typical week, it seems like I spend more time playing my clarinet than I do sleeping. Every fall since 8th grade, I've played clarinet in the THS marching band. This requires me to be at school for an extra 12 or more hours a week, in addition to the regular class hours. I also take clarinet lessons once a week and play in the Northeast Massachusetts Youth Orchestras' wind ensemble. The clarinet may be something that causes me to have a hectic schedule and a lot of stress, but it's part of who I am.

Guard Gloves
My guard gloves, in some ways, can describe me very well. To most people, they look like a pair of ugly tan fingerless gloves with some padding on the palm. Yes, I see them pretty much the same way as others, but it's more about what they symbolize for me. I see the gloves as a reminder that anything is possible if you're willing to try hard enough. Last winter guard season, I was a rookie and had never even spun a flag before. I faced different challenges each practice, one of the most common being unable to do the flag work given and getting frustrated due to that, but I didn't give up! I went home and practiced and practiced and practiced until I could get it, maybe not perfectly, but able to do the work given. Every member of the winter guard's hard work throughout the season paid off, since we won the NESBA Championships! In previous years, the guard hadn't done well, so this was a huge milestone for us. I wore my guard gloves in every competition that prepared us for the championships. I've been told that I keep trying at something until I'm able to do it, which is what my guard gloves symbolize to me.

Cell Phone
Technology is constantly changing and improving, which means there's always the 'next big thing.' At one point, cell phones (and I'm not talking about smart phones) as we know them today were the big thing. They're one of the many things that help people stay connected with each other and keep you from ever being truly alone. I don't like to be alone a lot- I've watched too many creepy TV shows and movies to be comfortable alone in the dark and, sometimes, during the day. Obviously, everyone has those times when they want to be alone- I turn off my phone and the problem is solved! Also, cell phones can be incredibly distracting, just like a million other things that are mostly technology. I can get distracted by my phone a lot while I'm doing homework or studying, especially when I really don't want to be doing whatever it is that I'm doing. Even while I'm typing up my blog post, I'm texting a friend. The constantly improving technology may mean more distractions when it comes to things like school work, but it's here to stay. At least, until the next big thing comes along.

No comments:

Post a Comment