Friday, October 19, 2012

10/18 - 10/19 Class Update

Yesterday, we had a sub. We wrote an essay on "The Crisis, Number I." by Thomas Paine. I never actually finished my essay because the sub talked for somewhere between 15 minutes and half an hour about how "inspired" the document made her and the history behind it. She wouldn't let us take them home to finish, but she let the other class do that. She also wrote the quote that we were answering the question on wrong and I didn't catch it until today. She wrote, "These are the times that try new men's souls," instead of "These are the times that try men's souls." Not sure how I didn't catch that, considering the fact that I underlined it in the document...

Today, we learned about the Battle of Trenton/Princeton and the Battle for New York. We watched the animation on these two battles at http://www.revolutionarywaranimated.com/. As far as the Battle for New York, I thought it was smart of George Washington to relocate the colonist militia while the British soldiers were sleeping and on Christmas Day. It definitely kept the colonists safer, if not giving them an advantage. We also talked about the essay we wrote yesterday. I agreed that these still are the "times that try men's souls." Thomas Paine never actually said that this was due to the battles of the Revolutionary War. The colonists were in a rough economic situation due to the British taxing them, just like today (though ours isn't because of the British).

No comments:

Post a Comment