Wednesday, November 14, 2012

11/13 - 11/14 Class Update

Yesterday, we went to the computer lab to look at this map and answer questions on two worksheets. There was a lot of math involved, so I was glad I had just come from math and had my calculator with me. It worked out that the South had more land but the North was more densely populated in 1820. The South (obviously) had the higher population of black people. In Louisiana and South Carolina, the black people even outnumbered the white people. We also answered a few questions about the Missouri Compromise, which we learned more about today.

Today, we took notes on a powerpoint about the Missouri Compromise. We also looked at excerpts from three textbooks (published in 1911, 1995, and 2005) about the Mexican War. We then filled in a chart about the similarities and differences from each of the three accounts. Very few things were the same in all three, most "facts" being found in only one or two of the textbooks. Again, this shows that not everything that is published is accurate. After that, we watched a short video on the Mexican War and took a short true/false quiz on it.

As far as my goal to practice my clarinet for 15 minutes a day, I (surprisingly) seem to be better at finding time during the week to practice than the weekends. I've practiced every day besides the long weekend, but I think that's probably because the weekends have less structure. For example, I planned to practice Saturday afternoon, but my parents told me we were going to be going shopping in New Hampshire, leaving in about half an hour. That didn't leave me any time to practice. Grrr. We'll see if that happens again in a couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment