Thursday, November 8, 2012

11/7 - 11/8 Class Update

Yesterday in class, we took notes on a powerpoint about slavery in the early United States. We learned about the cotton gin and how it affected slavery. We also learned about the types of slavery- "gang" labor and "task" labor. It seems like while gang labor was more efficient, task labor would ultimately earn the slaves' masters more money (and help the slaves earn enough money to buy their freedom!), especially if the slaves went to work on another farm once they finished their work at home. We also filled out a worksheet on one of slavery's opponents or defenders. I had Abraham Lincoln's "Address Before the Wisconsin State Agricultural Society."

Today, we took notes on a powerpoint about escaping slavery. We also looked at different textbook excerpts about the same topic. It was decided that Texas doesn't like that slaves escaped and therefore doesn't want to publish textbooks that imply that the Underground Railroad was good or that white men helped the slaves escape. The textbook published in Texas was also the only excerpt that said that the slaves killed white men. Hmmm...

As far as my goal to practice my clarinet for at least 15 minutes every day, so far, so good! I practiced for about an hour and a half last night and while I have yet to practice tonight, I needed to finish all of my homework first. I just have to finish up this blog post and read about 50 more pages of Frederick Douglass, which shouldn't take me too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment