Tuesday, November 20, 2012

11/19 - 11/20 Class Update

Yesterday in history class, we talked more about Harriet Beecher Stowe and Uncle Tom's Cabin. We also talked about the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850, which made helping slaves run away from their masters illegal. Those found guilty of helping slaves would be subject to a fine not exceeding $1,000 (approximately $30,000 in today's currency) and imprisonment not exceeding six months. This made it even harder for slaves to run away, even though slaves who ran away only made up about 4% of the total slave population.

Today, we talked about the Kansas-Nebraska Act. This Act divided the Nebraska territory into Kansas and Nebraska. The settlers living in each territory would decide the issue of slavery by popular sovereignty. Southerners supported the Act because they were sure that slave owners would move across the border into Kansas and vote for Kansas to become a slave state. Northerners opposed it because the Missouri Compromise already banned slavery in the territory in dispute. Proslavery groups gained control of Kansas by voting illegally and turned the whole dispute into a battle for power.

I've been managing to practice my clarinet for at least 15 minutes a day (usually more like 30). I'll finally be able to practice band music since my Districts audition is over. I only missed the cutoff by 5 points for that, which is a lot better than I thought I did. Side note- when the scale is going down, the notes are supposed to go down as well. Apparently my clarinet (my fingers were covering the correct holes for the notes!) didn't know that during my audition. Whoops.

No comments:

Post a Comment