Tuesday, November 27, 2012

11/26 - 11/27 Class Update

Yesterday, we read a document about Dred Scott v. Sandford. Dred Scott was a black slave who was brought from Missouri to Fort Snelling, which is in present day Minnesota and a free area. He was then brought back to Missouri. He sued against his master, the Emersons and later, Sanford, for for false imprisonment and battery. He wasn't able to win his case, even though others before him were able to win with similar cases.

Today, we talked about the Lincoln-Douglas Debates. We watched a video clip (and read along) from a movie made in the 1940s that had parts of the debates in the dialogue. After that, we read some passages from their speeches and filled out a chart about how Lincoln and Douglas's speeches contradicted each other.

My goal isn't going so well. Once I actually start practicing, I don't have an issue with doing 15 or more minutes. My mom gets mad when I practice before I finish my homework, which I've had a lot of lately, so practicing has been moved to the back burner for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment